The Curatorial Assistant will work closely with the Jameel Arts Centre curatorial team to research, plan and deliver the centre’s ambitious exhibitions programme.
Deadline to apply: April 22, 2019.
- Support in research around exhibitions
- Support in research around exhibition-related public programmes
- Support in research on potential loans and acquisitions
- Contribute to the research and cataloguing of exhibition and collection works
- Maintain and develop a high level of knowledge in regional (MENASA) Contemporary Art
- Liaise with artists, researchers and curators to secure necessary material
- Identify and source relevant research materials, including publications, audiovisual recordings and archives
- Create and maintain an orderly filing system for research and assist in the archiving of research material
- Maintain and update artists’ files
- Attend and report on conferences, symposia and other events as needed
Exhibitions and Displays:
- Contribute to the planning and delivery of the exhibition programme
- Support the curatorial team in writing accessible texts to accompany displays in the gallery and support in producing online content
- Update the relevant planning and scheduling documents
- Ensure clear communication of tasks and schedules with colleagues across the arts centre
- Produce loan letters and maintain project documentation both electronically and with paper files
- Maintain the budget and contribute to the preparation of budget estimates
- Develop and refine installation layouts with curatorial project teams
- Liaise with external curators and partners to ensure smooth project delivery
- Research and contribute to interpretative materials and publications for exhibition and display projects
- Support in compiling reports on, and registering, incoming and outgoing artworks
- Support with the logistics of shipping, transport and handling of artworks
- Represent Art Jameel and the Jameel Arts Centre in public events as required
- Support the exhibitions and displays programme through the delivery of talks, tours and other events for a variety of audiences as required
- Maintain and update planning documents and budgets
- Support with exhibition installation
- Create exhibition related copy for online use
- Update exhibition-related content on the Jameel Arts Centre’s website
Public Programs & Film Program:
- Support the public programme curatorial team in the development and delivery of exhibition-related public programmes as needed
- Liaise with speakers and artists as needed, including supporting the events team in the booking of travel and accommodation for exhibition-related events
- Support in creating and send out speakers’ letters and contracts
- Create promotional copy for print and online material
- Liaise with filmmakers and distributors regarding screening rights where needed
- Liaise with AV technicians and docents to ensure the smooth running of events.
- Liaise with the Head of Communications regarding promotional copy and print deadlines.
Administration and Management:
- Take on administration-related tasks and projects, when required
- Keep an orderly and up to date filing system, including regularly updating budgets and planners
- Demonstrable experience working with displays, exhibitions or a permanent collection
- Demonstrable experience working on public programs, such as talks, panel discussions and workshops
- A broad knowledge of international contemporary art
- Good knowledge of Middle East and/or South Asian Contemporary Art
- Written and spoken fluency in Arabic as well as English is preferred. Other relevant languages (for example: Urdu, Hindi, Malayalam, Farsi, French) are also useful
- Undergraduate degree in an arts and humanities field
- Excellent writing, research, and organizational skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills will enable the candidate to work effectively as part of a team and collaboratively across the museum. She/he will also be able to prioritize her/his work to meet deadlines, and maintain her/his attention to detail under pressure
Conditions of Work
This is a full time permanent position. In addition to salary, the benefits you are eligible to receive are 25 days annual holiday and Health Insurance. Phone allowances will be provided where applicable. The candidate will be required to work occasional weekends and evenings as required.
About Art Jameel
Art Jameel is an organisation that supports artists and creative communities. Our programmes foster the role of the arts in building open, connected communities; at a time of flux and dramatic societal shifts, we see this role as more crucial than ever.
Art Jameel’s current initiatives include running heritage arts schools and restoration programmes, plus a broad range of arts and educational initiatives for all ages.
Our model is collaborative: major institutional partners include the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Prince’s School of Traditional Arts; locally, the foundation works with individuals and organisations to develop innovative programming that embraces both ancient and new technologies, and encourages entrepreneurship and the development of cultural networks.
Art Jameel is positioned alongside Community Jameel, and complements its sister organisation’s work in promoting positive social change, job creation and poverty alleviation across the Middle East, North Africa and Turkey.
Jameel Arts Centre, Dubai, is an institution dedicated to contemporary art and research, founded and programmed wholly by the organization. On the other hand, Hayy Creative Hub, Jeddah, is a home for the creative industries at large, founded by Art Jameel, where the organisation also runs an Arts Centre, theatre and other shared facilities.