This Social Media Specialist role is based at Jameel Arts Centre, Dubai, and is part of a dynamic Communications team that strives to build public and industry awareness of Art Jameel’s programmes and the artists and practitioners we work with. This role works closely with the Communications Manager and includes a focus on drafting bilingual content for various communications purposes, collecting materials, updating databases and media lists, tracking projects and media exposure, and preparing presentations and reports.
The Social Media Specialist also assists with media and community outreach and marketing (supporting the Communications and Outreach Managers, as well as external agencies,) with a focus on assisting with research and writing, including drafting and disseminating press releases, e-shots and newsletters.
This position is suited for a young enthusiastic communications professional with previous experience in a PR or creative agency. The ideal candidate is UAE-based, passionate about the arts, particularly in KSA the UAE and broader region, has strong organisational and communication skills, enjoys reading and writing and is open to learning.
The position requires high-level proficiency in written and spoken Arabic and English.
The Social Media Specialist reports to the Manager, Communications.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Help implement communications strategies and provide administrative support to promote exhibitions and different programmes
- Work with the in-house Graphic Designer and external designers and video editors to develop campaigns, videos, identities, designs, photography and videography for exhibitions, programmes and events
- Oversee translation process and manage relationships with external translators, including assistance with final proofing
- Liaise with various departments to collect necessary content for Art Jameel’s monthly newsletter, press releases and manage scheduled mailout
- Manage monthly, weekly and occasional dispatches via Mailchimp and other communications tools
- Research and source images and information from and for in-house programmes, artists, curators and partners for media outreach and press enquiries
- Complete website updates and maintain and grow the image library including captioning and archiving
- Assist in managing press trips and outreach events
- Collecting data and maintaining databases
- Support the Communications Manager in planning and pitching editorials and advertorials as well as digital marketing and print advertising opportunities
- Work closely with the Programmes and Learning departments to devise seamless communications plans for Jameel Arts Centre and Art Jameel partners, events and initiatives
- Liaise with external partners on co-programmed events to ensure alignment of communications efforts
- Support and align communications with Art Jameel’s other Centre in Jeddah, Hayy Jameel, when necessary
- Stay abreast of trends and movements in the art industry, researching and supporting Art Jameel’s close collaborators and partners
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or a related field
- 1-2 years experience in a creative or arts environment, looking for a new challenge in a fast-paced, fast-growing global organisation
- Experience using communications software and tools, specifically Mailchimp
- Confidence in written and verbal communication, including good standards of written and spoken English and Arabic
- Commitment to high-quality output and attentiveness to detail
- Strong organisational skills, including the ability to multitask, plan ahead and work to tight deadlines
- Interested in and enthusiastic about arts and culture in the Middle East, particularly the UAE and KSA
Conditions of Work
- Members of the Art Jameel team take shifts on the Welcome Desk (at least 1 day every 2-4 weeks).
- Occasional weekend and evening work according to events and programmes is as required.
- Health & dental insurance
- Visa sponsorship, if needed
- 25 days annual leave